Banner

December 11, 2012

AlchemyBro - Day 126

Recently got a Yiynova MSP19U, the tablet monitor that's going around as the poor man's Cintiq. After coming off of a large Wacom Intuos 4 and a Tablet-PC convertible before that, here's my out-of-box experience.

Current bottom line: It's different.

The good: as a monitor, it's solid. Great screen quality, vibrant colors, nice design, and good screen size. The sticky pixels situation that the original MSP19 is said to suffer is not showing up, and there is a good degree of pressure sensitivity.

The Weird:
There's no side panel buttons, but personally I never used that on my Wacom as it never captures all the necessary shortcuts, which is pretty much all the keys of a keyboard. Stylus doesn't have an eraser button, either, but again its really a feature I've yet to meet anyone use regularly. It's also made of glass, which means if you have a direct light source above you, you're going to have some visibility trouble. A final note is that this a tablet monitor, so it sits at an angle that takes some getting used to if you keep this as your primary.

The Bad:
Alright, time for some pics
So this is a random mound made from one of the rock brushes that usually produces something cool out of a few squiggles, but this was just not cutting it due to how the tablet takes stylus strokes. The location of the cursor under the stylus isn't so bad, the problem I've been finding is how pressure sensitivity causes leaps in brush sizes. Here's a cloud test for better understanding.

I would never, ever be able to write that thinly with my Intuos with brush sizes over 100, and that's not good. When you try to make broad, light or atmospheric strokes with the Yiynova it interprets the touch as 'oh you want thin lines' so for an inker it may be ideal, but for people trying to take advantage of all the nuances of Photoshop this is a big blemish. I've tried adjusting pressure sensitivity and even how the monitor interprets double clicks: this problem doesn't only seem to stick around, its somehow rooted to the Opacity function as it goes away when I turn on the 'tablet controls Opacity' button at the top menu of Photoshop. This is problematic as experimental strokes performed with custom brushes is one of the major reasons why Photoshop is industry standard and clicking the 'tablet controls Opacity' button kills the flexibility to hit darker hues. In others words, when you make a light touch on the Yiynova, you either get a really thin black line or a very faded shape that you were going after.

The UGLY:
So here's a couple gestures:
And on some of the strokes, I was literally encountering some sort of bump. The tablet has a nice slick surface which is really suitable for 'skating on paper,' but something wrong was showing up:
On the upper left area a weird bump is constantly being hit. I really, really hope its just some sort of dirt that can be wiped off.

The other absolute ugly about the Yiynova that you must be aware of if you're going to take the plunge is that the drivers for this thing have a hate relationship with the Intuos drivers. You have to UNINSTALL WACOM DRIVERS to use this. Having both installed causes the the Intuos to work incorrectly, as in skipping around when making straight lines, ignoring pressure sensitivity, simply not working if both Yiynova and Wacom drivers are in the same primary hard drive. Other reviewers say they encountered Yiynova pressure problems with both installed, but the only problem I've encountered is the complete shut down of my Intuos so long as the Yiynova drivers are chugging away.

Again, for anyone looking for a Yiynova, I will reiterate: it's not completely bad or good, its different. This monitor looks like its tweaked towards inkers or people wanting to do straight lines, so it might actually be great with Sai. but as it stands with Photoshop that desperately needs correctly calibrated pressure sensitivity to do broad brush strokes, the Yiynova needs some sort of update. I'm going to try and do an all out delivery with it later to give this monitor a proper test, but right now its still a getting-used-to process.

3 comments:

  1. Did you update to the latest driver? My brother did and he told me it was a million times better. Though I never owned a yiynova so I can't really help much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the drivers for this model are up to date, used what came on the disc with the package then downloaded the driver from the website to make sure, both of them are from November of this year. The pointy sensitivity seems to be just how the tablet operates, which for drawers and inkers is a good thing, while people that grew up with how Wacom interprets pressure this can be a problem. Will play with it more, I don't want to give up on this thing as a drawing tool its accuracy is a huge boon, just sucks broad or searching strokes are harder to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, about you problem, I got mine juste today and had big issue with "bump" like you had... Mine was more horrible, one of the part of the screen was just not working.
    I contacted panda city and they give me this link : http://forum.wacom.eu/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7926
    I followed the instructions and delete every wintab* file I could find. I read on other forum that all wacom drivers trace need to be erase so I go through system32, winsxs and even DriverStore folders, change the ownership and permissions, then delete all that have a "wacom" part in the name.

    You may just need to delete the "wintab*" files, but if it's not enough, I would say go try to erase everything that remember wacom on your computer :)

    Now there is absolutly no bump, no jitter and no lag...

    ReplyDelete